Sunday, July 3, 2011

Happy Birthday David!

At the moment, I am very much wishing that I had blogged about David's birthday last year.  It was a memorable event - with our girls giving him a series of small gifts which gave him clues to what his main birthday present would be.  As we shopped for him, I could see the light bulbs in their brains beaming while they thought of more and more creative ways to turn a gift card into lots of fun.  I loved how they took care in the details concerning their dad's birthday.

This year David did not want us to put an emphasis on his birthday.  Perhaps this is because he is half way to reaching his next decade, and is not taking it well.  I don't blame him.  Being just a few weeks and five years younger than David--- each time he reaches that half way milestone, I hit the ten digit twist of fate.  We both do not embrace it all that well...  

Early this morning, the children and I gathered around David giving him his gifts.  After picking up my mother-in-law from her home, we headed on to church.  It is always an incredible blessing when our whole family attends church together.  As the children get older, their schedules don't often allow us to do this.  

After an inspiring message from our pastor, we headed to a small restaurant that David loves to eat at from time to time.    Boston's Fish House is the only eatery that has what feels like "authentic" New England foods in our area.  Clams, (bellies and all,) onion rings, "chowda" and Boston Cream Pie.  Sometimes they even offer swordfish!  (Yum!!!)  I suppose for the benefit of the locals they include catfish on the menu.  :-P  I try to ignore that - and the fact that we're faring our meal indoors, preferring to pretend that the air-conditioned building we are dining in is actually the cool outdoor breezes of Cape Cod.

It was nice to celebrate David's birthday together for most of this day, but since we are not on vacation, as they say, the party's over, and the children have dispersed. 

One thing that bugs me about "David birthday celebrations" is that he does not "want" anything special.  A new shirt, a pair of shorts, some big box hardware store gift cards...  Wahhoo!  I've learned to not go outside his box though...  If I do, he sneakily returns his gifts.  When the time is right, I'd love to surprise him with a pre-planned pre-paid trip.  If you know him, you'd know that that would throw him right out of his comfort zone.  I smile as I entertain the idea of making this a reality!

Matthew 5:16 "In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in Heaven." 

He doesn't seek the lime-light.  He has a reserved demeanor.  The Lord's light shines in and through my husband.  There are countless reasons that I love David.  His deep love and constant doing for his family is an understatement of who he is.  David has a steadfast concern for us, putting himself last, making sure our necessities are taken care of.  Knowing he is this way makes me want to give to him that much more.  Yet, David makes it clear that he is content knowing that he provides well for us and more than meets our needs.  

He works incredibly hard at his job of over 24 years.  He's an overachiever, who is most likely known as the best in what he does.  I believe that David's objective for aiming high in his career is that his focus remains on Him and us.  

At times David is required to travel.  Driving over 250 miles one way would make most people stop for the night.  David does his best to work those trips in and return home in the same day.  He wants to be with his family.  I love the support that he gives us.

When our oldest children were young, I had a cottage industry type business.  David would do any job needed - to keep our house running, or the business needs met.  Truly,  I can honestly say that I do not know another man who would take the steps that he did to keep the family on their game.  Looking back at those earlier times, I'm not sure how we survived the busyness of that chapter of our life together, but I know that I am incredibly blessed to have who God gave me for a husband, and our children's father. 

The Lord's light in my husband is evident to me, always.  My prayer is that it will be a continuous beacon for our children, pointing their way to deep faith in our Lord.     

Here's a photo of us in one of our favorite places, Cape Cod:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always appreciated and welcome!