Thursday, August 11, 2011

Milestones

Throughout the years, many of my son's milestones seemed more significant than the last.  I can clearly remember when he first discovered his hand - and that he had control over it's motions.  The first glimpse of his struggle to roll over felt a triumph when achieved, and we watched in awe.  The first time he sat up - I missed.  Noticing his pleased smile when I walked into the room to pick him up - I felt so incredibly proud to see my son sitting in his crib waiting for me to take notice of his great achievement.  He worked hard to stand, walk, run, and ride a bicycle.  On his first day of kindergarten - he looked so big and grown up to me.  All encompassing, I beamed with delight and ached at the swiftness of time.  Next, I blinked - and there we were...  With a lump in my throat, and tears in my eyes, I watched David graduate from high school.  Soon after, came the heart wrenching trip to move him into a college dorm.  His trip to China, gave his dad and me a keen reminder that his care is ultimately entrusted to the Lord's watchful eye.  After mulling over that reality check, David spent his first summer local to his university, rather than at home with his family, so he could continue working.  Then - the big day came.  The academic achievement that surpassed all others to date.  David's graduation from college.

I am thankful for each and every one of these milestones.  As a thread woven through David's faith in our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, they gave my son a feeling of self confidence.  Each milestone helped prepare him for his adult life--- for the life God intends him to have.  I am incredibly gratified with all He has allowed my son to accomplish.  I cannot give thanks and praise enough to my Lord for the 22 years of milestones that we've been blessed to witness.

David walking across the stage after the President Interim shook his hand.

Our family of five.
Siblings
David with mom and dad
David with my sister and Grandmum
Solo
Look ma, no diploma!  David's degree is in Social Ministries with a minor in Political Science.
David and Grandmum celebrating at a restaurant after graduation.
Sweet sisters...
It is my sincere prayer that David will spend all of his days gravitating to walk in the Truth.  I pray that he keeps his heart, mind, and eyes focused on the One who gave him life, and Who blessed him with incredible, magnificent milestones.  

My son, if you accept My words and store up My commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding— indeed, if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God.  For the LORD gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding.  He holds success in store for the upright, He is a shield to those whose walk is blameless, for He guards the course of the just and protects the way of His faithful ones.  Then you will understand what is right and just and fair—every good path.  For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul.  Discretion will protect you, and understanding will guard you.  Proverbs 2:1-11

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always appreciated and welcome!