Sunday, September 20, 2009

Happenings at our House

We are on week 5 of Sonlight Core 5.  We should have been on 7, but got behind, (see previous posts and you can easily figure out why.)

The Eastern Hemisphere Explorer is going well, and so far, Alexis likes it.  The spectrum of facts and interesting trivia is wide - holding her interest well.  I think one of the keys to keeping her content with it is that I try not to let things get to the point of frustration for her as she attempts to answer the questions.  The World Book that comes with the Core is great, but it doesn't give all the answers - and at times, the answers are hard to find anyway.  If Alexis can't find an answer, she skips it, then goes back once more to look for it, then we (yes, we) google it or go to the answer key.  I think it is important that I help her, as this is a year long process, and if I start out expecting her just to know how to find all her answers, it would be delusional of me, and almost impossible for her.)  I feel that if we keep things rolling, she'll "get" the process and pick up on how to seek the information independently.

Last week for a writing assignment, Alexis used the World Book to find information on the kangaroo mouse.  (Unrelated to EHE.)  It took me off guard when Alexis had a light bulb moment realizing that World Book had information on it that did not involve the EHE.  I guess I should have first taken her to the library to show her a set of encyclopedias so she could grasp the massive variety of subjects one holds.  Sometimes I get so wrapped up in the details, that I forget that of course a child would not automatically know that a little DVD could be so versatile. 


The reading and history assignments are enjoyable and managable at the moment.  So far, I'm thrilled to say, Alexis is still looking forward to our reading and discussions on Core 5.  Very glad that she does.  

Writing is one of our main goals to focus on for improvement this year.  SL's Core 5 LA program is certainly centered on writing assignments.  As I laid out her school schedule on paper in late July, I became concerned with the quantity of writing assignments this LA program has.  I forced myself to calm down as i looked further and saw that these are quick assignments - not long drag outs.  I also reminded myself that I am in control of her schedule, and can adapt if need be.  Much to my happy surprise, however, she has exceeded my expectations, and is doing an absolutely wonderful job!  I am loving Core 5!

We've seen lots of Netflix movies over the last several weeks:

At the moment I have Ring of Fire "checked out.  It was released in 2003, and seems a bit dated, but still interesting.  For some reason Alexis hasn't taken to it.  Some of the island cultures have oddities that I am not quite ready to explain to her - so I have not pushed her to watch it with me.

For fun we watched Kangaroo Jack - I'm sure to many it would be considered twaddle.  There is one scene that i wish we had fast forwarded through.  I saw it coming, but just couldn't fathom that what I was afraid would happen would.  Sigh.  Yes, it was twaddle, over the top corny, but in a strange way, it was sort of a fun movie to see.  Just wish they had cut that scene - maybe a few others as well.

The Silver Stallion was another movie we viewed.  It was okay, though it was not one of our favorites.  There was a lot of "mother earth" talk (for lack of better words.)  I am curious to know if the early beliefs of the Aboriginees spilled over into what would be considered the western culture of Australia?  Pr, has this belief always been a part of all of this region?  The film was released in 1993 - before much of our western culture regarded the earth as the source of all animate and inanimate objects.

We also watched Discovery Atlas Australia Revealed - Russel Crowe narrates it.  This was a good one, although, like the move mentioned above, the cultural views saddens me.

Australia the Beautiful - was good.  It has breathtaking scenery, and unique information about this great country's unique wildlife.

Other happenings - 

Alexis went on a fun field trip.  The students took an art class and learned about printing using a special linoleum tile, paper, and ink.

The 2 photos taken are not that great -  I forgot my camera and had to take them with my phone. 



Ink Stamps made of linoleum
Silly smile - so pretty!
Aside from all of Alexis' happenings, David, (son,) is getting settled with school.  We miss him sooo much, but are proud of all of his accomplishments.  He is working at the college this year in a work study program.  In addition to this, David just got a "real" job at a lovely church - working with the youth!  Sometime before he finished his sophomore year, David decided that he would like to take some classes to explore the possibility of pursuing a minor in Student Ministry.  (His majors are Political Science, and Communications.)  Since he graduated from VBS in 5th grade - David has been involved in student ministries.  Much of it was helping me with my Sunday School classes, or the church with VBS, or various other venues including some great programs he worked with during school least year - but it all has been an amazing and blessed opportunity to watch him grow spiritually and deepen his commitment to the Lord.  I am excitedly anticipating what else He has in store for my boy!

Amanda is doing great!  She is working hard, and still has 2 jobs.  One of them as lots of baked goods that are served fresh daily, so on the nights that she closes, if no charitable organizations come to pick it up, she is able to bring goodies home, as they would otherwise go in the trash can.  Alexis is enjoying her sister's goodies, and Amanda has been so sweet to take some of it to her grandmother.  She's even been able to bring extras home for me to share with some of the homeschool moms at a meeting.  I hope everyone enjoyed!

School is going well for Amanda, and she expects to be able to stay on schedule for the rest of the year.  She soon needs to firm things up for the college she will attend next year.  Time is flying fast!

One of the other leadership moms in our homeschool group and I conducted a workshop last Monday evening.  She spoke about portfolios, and I spoke about Sue Patrick's Workbox System.  It has been an invaluable organizational tool for me and Alexis - both, as we began it sometime before last school year ended.  I almost didn't start back up with Workboxes right away, but Alexis herself actually encouraged me to fill the boxes.  As I began working with it again, it became clear to me how much the system was helping us.  So much so that I thought it could benefit other moms in our HS support group.  I happily volunteered to do this workshop, then as it got closer to presentation time, I began to feel a bit inferior.  Since I am a homeschool mom of 1 - teaching a group of homeschool moms of many, how do I make suggestions for making this system work for them?  Thankfully, a sweet friend, Leslie, took time out of her busy life to give me some great tips about how to use the Workbox System with multiple students.   She shared about some of the many fun things she adds to her children's boxes.  She also gave me great ideas of how to intertwine student's activites throughout the day.  Above all, she gave me encouragement - a huge blessing. My presentation went well, and I am thankful for the opportunity to help my groups moms.

In addition to Leslie's help, Sue Patrick, when i e-mailed her asking questions about the system, generously offered to send me handouts and an outline to cover important points about the system.  More encouragement!  God is so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always appreciated and welcome!